Women's Lacrosse Loses Nail Biter to Husson

Women's Lacrosse Loses Nail Biter to Husson

Bangor, ME - Despite a seven goal performance from sophomore midfielder Johanna Douglas (Essex, CT), the Green Mountain College women's lacrosse team suffered a close 9-8 loss to Husson University in North Atlantic Conference (NAC) East play on Saturday afternoon.  The win improves Husson's overall record to 3-6 and evens its NAC East record at 1-1.  The tough loss drops GMC to 2-4 on the year and 0-2 in NAC play.

The two teams were equally matched in this battle of the Eagles (both teams share the same nickname).  No team led by more than two goals throughout the entire contest and the game was tied at seven different junctures.  

Douglas opened the scoring for GMC with an unassisted tally at 26:27 mark of the first half. Just over four minutes later Kim Gabon (Walpole, MA) would even the score at 1-1 with her own unassisted goal. The back-and-forth play continued throughout the remainder of the first half as Green Mountain would go ahead by a goal only to have Husson respond and tie the game.  Douglas would score with only 0:43 seconds remaining in the opening half on another unassisted goal to give GMC a one goal cushion heading into the break.  The score at the half was 4-3.  

Both teams tightened up the defense at the onset of the second half as ten minutes elapsed without any scoring.  At the 20:18 mark, Ali Staab (Berlin, VT) would notch the game at 4-4 with her third goal of the contest on an unassisted goal.  The freshman attacker would score again not 46 seconds later to give Husson its first lead of the match at 5-4.  The teams would then trade goals back-and-forth three times before Husson was able to score two consecutive goals to take an 8-6 lead with 12:15 remaining.  

Faced with adversity for the first time in the game, GMC responded accordingly as Douglas potted her seventh goal of the game and junior midfielder Bryanna Astor (Milltown, NJ) would score on a free position shot less than a minute later to make the game all square at 8-8 with 8:28 left to play.

Five minutes passed without any scoring before Husson's Emily Child (Mexico, ME) scored an unassisted tally at the 3:16 mark of the final period.  That goal would prove to be the difference as Husson was able to squelch all remaining GMC offensive attacks and take the nail biter 9-8.

Staab led the offense for Husson scoring five goals and adding an assist.  In addition to her offensive contributions, she also picked up four groundballs and caused three turnovers. Gambon and Caitlyn Stauffer (Brookfield, CT) helped control the midfield as the pair would pick up nine and eight groundballs, respectively.

Douglas was the offensive star for GMC scoring seven of the team's eight goals.  She also managed to pick up six groundballs and dominated the draws, controlling a game-high eight. In fact, her eight draw controls would double the amount won by the entire Husson squad.

As a team, GMC was very efficient with its shots, scoring 62% of the time in contrast to Husson's 36%.  The decisive factor in the loss for Green Mountain turned out to be turnovers as the team coughed up the ball 38 times, while Husson only had 24 turnovers. Credit is due to Husson's defenders though, as the team was responsible for causing quite a few of those mistakes.

Kayla Guerrette (Frenchville, ME), who took over in net for Husson in the second half, picked up the win by stopping four shots.  Ginny Anderson (Silver Spring, MD) continued to shine for GMC stopping 16 attempts in defeat.

An away game at Castleton will be next on the schedule for GMC as the two neighboring schools square off in NAC action on Wednesday, April 11th, at 4:00 p.m.  Husson, meanwhile, will get set for a conference home date against Maine Maritime for the exact same day and time.