Eagles drop third straight in NAC play

Eagles drop third straight in NAC play


(Bangor, Me.) – Eleven different players found their way onto the score sheet for Husson University, knocking off Green Mountain College 13-2 in North Atlantic Conference men’s lacrosse action Sunday.

Ben Landry (Lewiston, ME) and Mitch Heaps (Felton, PA) led the way for the hosts, each netting a pair. Despite the score differential, Green Mountain first year goalkeeper Ethan Whaley (Exeter, NH) had a good day between the pipes, recording 18 saves.

Husson started off the game with a bang, scoring five unanswered goals in the first period, the first of which came from Alex Ryan (Northfield, NH) three minutes in. Heaps would score his first 20 seconds later, assisted by Landry who added the next two goals to give him three points on the day. Heaps came back to convert on a man-up opportunity with 1:21 left in the quarter to close out the first period scoring when Matt Sweeney (Norwood, MA) set him up from behind the cage to go into the second up 5-0.

The Husson offense continued to work in the second quarter when Tony Diaz (Brunswick, MA) stuffed another in 1:34 into the period. Sweeney converted during another man-up three minutes later to extend the lead to 7-0. Green Mountain would fight back, netting their first goal of the game when Matt Tarricone (Oneonta, NY) converted, and Husson would go into the half leading 7-1.

Husson picked up where they left off in the second half, scoring half-way through the third quarter when Ethan Pratt (Biddeford, ME) scored with the extra man, and the Husson man-up squad converted again about a minute later when Chris Lloyd (Oxford, ME) scored with a shot from distance, their fourth score with the man advantage. Aaron Weinstein (Concord, NH) tucked one in two minutes after the Lloyd score, and Husson finished the third quarter up 10-1.

Ben Potter (Chula Vista, CA) scored to open up the 4th quarter scoring, giving Husson a double-digit lead. Green Mountain found the back of the net with 9:06 left to play when Mike Smith’s (Georgetown, MA) shot deflected off a Husson player and past reserve goalie Eric Lund (Mansfield, MA) for GMC’s second tally of the afternoon.

Lund finished the day with eight saves in 45 minutes of action in the cage. The host Eagles would score two more goals in the final few minutes, the first coming from senior Ryan Lapham (Medway, MA) from in tight, thanks to a great assist from Dylan Tkatch (Westmoreland, NH). Chris DelGuidace (Oakland, ME) scored Husson’s final mark with 1:58 in the game, tucking it past the goalie’s left foot for the score.

Green Mountain falls to 1-5 overall and 0-3 in NAC play while Husson improves to 3-2 (2-1).  The Eagles return to action next Saturday when they host Me.-Farmington at 1:00 pm.