Green Mountain College joined the North Atlantic Conference, beginning with the 2008-2009 academic year. Green Mountain competes in the NAC in Men's and Women's Soccer, Women's Volleyball, Men's and Women's Cross Country, Men's and Women's Basketball, Men's and Women's Lacrosse, Men's Tennis, and Softball.
Conference members include Castleton State College (VT), Johnson State College (VT), Lyndon State College (VT), Colby-Sawyer College (NH), New England College (NH), Husson University (ME), Thomas College (ME), Maine Maritime Academy (ME), and University of Maine-Farmington (ME). Conference associate members include Salem State (Mass.), Lasell (Mass.), MCLA (Mass.), Rivier (N.H.), Simmons (Mass.), St. Joseph’s (ME), and members of the North Eastern Athletic Conference in Men’s Tennis.
Conference Philosophy Statement
Consistent with the NCAA Division III philosophy, a basic purpose of this conference is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the educational experience, with the student-athlete as an integral part of the student body. Objectives include:
- Provide the highest quality competitive experience, giving equal emphasis to men’s and women’s sports.
- Protect the health and welfare of, and provide a safe environment for, student-athletes.
- Promote the character development of participants, enhance the integrity of higher education and promote sportsmanship for our student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with our athletic programs.
- Uphold the principle of institutional control and responsibility for all intercollegiate sports in conformity with the constitution and by-laws of the North Atlantic Conference and NCAA Division III.
- Create an environment that celebrates and promotes diversity and fosters social responsibility.
- Sponsor and promote varsity intercollegiate programming in a fiscally responsible and educationally sound manner.
- Provide recognition for the outstanding achievement of student-athletes and staff, as well as maximize promotional opportunities for member institutions.
- Foster professional development and create awareness of professional leadership opportunities for the member institutions' staff.